Genre: Documentary Film
Broadcaster: Vision Television
Can a sacred plant from the Amazon heal our minds and spirits? For centuries, indigenous people of South America have used ayahuasca, a psychoactive plant medicine, to cure all manner of psycho-spiritual ills.
Today, thousands of Westerners, seeking healing and spiritual awakening, attend ayahuasca ceremonies around the world to drink the vision-inducing tea and experience dramatic transformations in their lives.
Vine of the Soul is a documentary that explores this brave new world, offering insights into the nature of faith, mystical experience and self-healing through a heightened state of consciousness. Filmmaker Richard Meech follows key protagonists as they journey to Peru –- and back home –- capturing in verité style both the life-altering epiphanies and nights of terror encountered after drinking the sacred brew.
GreenHAT Digital has worked with the filmmaker to develop alternative distribution strategies, organize community screenings, and help generate word-of-mouth through social media.
- Consulted with the filmmaker on alternative distribution and sales strategies, including non-theatrical, semi-theatrical and community screenings; and direct-to-consumer DVD and digital download sales.
- Recommended online store service; and consulted on set-up and design.
- Recommended changes to Website; optimized Website and social media channels for search.
- Moved filmmaker to a Tumblr blog and coordinated integration of service into Website; coached filmmaker on blogging “best practices” and trained him on how to use Tumblr.
- Developed social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube and coached filmmaker on content “best practices”; recommended software and services such as HootSuite to help manage channel updates; linked all channels to Website hub and back again.
- Coordinated community screenings and assisted at the film’s launch during MAPS: The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies conference in San Jose.
- Designed and wrote an e-newsletter; integrated with Flowtown customer insight service; consulted filmmaker on set-up and management of database.
- Filmmaker has a new understanding of film marketing and has been able to actively participate in the distribution and promotion of his work.
- Filmmaker has been able to manage his own social media channels and has been updating regularly to Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.
- Filmmaker has been able to screen the film to core audiences on the West Coast and to make enough money from exhibition sales to finance the screenings.
- Filmmaker is successfully selling extended DVDs and digital version of film directly from the Website.
Go to the Vine of the Soul Website »